1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Mungo Gumbo
6 hrs 20 mins
No there is no Okra in this gumbo but I don't think you'll miss it. If you wish hold off putting in the Zucchini & peas until the last hour or so. Serve with White or Brown rice - the brown went well with it. I hope you enjoy the recipe. The hardest part of this recipe is stirring the roux
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml mung beans, soaked over night
- 78.07 ml white flour
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml fresh sage, finely chopped
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 chili peppers, chopped or 4.92 ml chili flakes (optional)
- 709.77 ml chicken stock or 709.77 ml broth
- 3 chicken breast halves, cooked & cut to bite size pieces
- 453.59 g smoked sausage (I used Kielbassa but any well smoked sauge is good or a large ham hock)
- 2 stalk celery, chopped
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 177.44 ml sweet peppers, mixed or 177.44 ml all green pepper, chopped
- 354.88 ml zucchini, peel on,cut in bite size chunks
- 177.44 ml frozen peas
- 354.88 ml yams, peeled cut in bite size chunkd
- 1Soak your Mung beans overnight in 2 1/2 cups of water, rinse the beans twice before adding to the Gumbo.
- 2Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and stir in the flour, stirring constantly over medium heat until the roux is a dark reddish brown.
- 3Don't let it burn, be patient and keep stirring may take 10 minutes.
- 4When the roux has that rich brown color stir in the chicken stock, use a whip and keep stirring until you have a nice textured sauce.
- 5Add the Sage, garlic,& chili.
- 6Pour the sauce into your crock Pot.
- 7Add all the remaining ingredients including the uncooked, well rinsed mung beans, stir to mix the ingredients well.
- 8Turn the crockpot to low, cover with the lid and 6 hours later it is ready.
- 9Serve with white or Brown rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Mungo Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (608 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1003.8
- Calories from Fat 561
- Total Fat 62.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 117.5 mg
- Sodium 2065.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 52.5 g