Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Gumbo you can make on a work day. I prepare all ingredients the night before. Put everything except water and shrimp together and refrigerate. In the morning, put ingredients in the crock pot and add water. Be patient with the roux, it takes time. If you burn it, you will ruin your gumbo.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 lb andouille sausage (or skinless smoked)
- 1 lb shrimp (raw, peeled)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- file powder
- Fry bacon and set aside on paper towels.
- Reserve 6 tbs. bacon grease.
- In a skillet on low heat, add 4 tbs. of bacon grease, flour and cajun seasoning.
- Brown flour slowly, stirring constantly, until dark copper brown. Be careful not to burn flour.
- Transfer roux to crock pot.
- Lightly saute garlic, onion, celery and green pepper in 2 tbs. of bacon grease and add to crock pot.
- Crumble bacon and add to crock pot.
- Brown chicken, cube and add to crock pot.
- Slice sausage and add to crock pot.
- Add 8 cups of hot water to crock pot and stir until water and roux are blended.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Just before serving add shrimp to crock pot and cook until shrimp turn pink.
- Serve over cooked rice and sprinkle lightly with file powder.
I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds wonderful! I would add some frozen okra to thicken it up and maybe some shell on crab several hours into the cook time! I can't wait try this!!!