6 hrs 30 mins
Gumbo you can make on a work day. I prepare all ingredients the night before. Put everything except water and shrimp together and refrigerate. In the morning, put ingredients in the crock pot and add water. Be patient with the roux, it takes time. If you burn it, you will ruin your gumbo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2Fry bacon and set aside on paper towels.
- 3Reserve 6 tbs. bacon grease.
- 4In a skillet on low heat, add 4 tbs. of bacon grease, flour and cajun seasoning.
- 5Brown flour slowly, stirring constantly, until dark copper brown. Be careful not to burn flour.
- 7Transfer roux to crock pot.
- 8Lightly saute garlic, onion, celery and green pepper in 2 tbs. of bacon grease and add to crock pot.
- 9Crumble bacon and add to crock pot.
- 10Brown chicken, cube and add to crock pot.
- 11Slice sausage and add to crock pot.
- 12Add 8 cups of hot water to crock pot and stir until water and roux are blended.
- 13Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- 14Just before serving add shrimp to crock pot and cook until shrimp turn pink.
- 15Serve over cooked rice and sprinkle lightly with file powder.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.0
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 264.5 mg
- Sodium 1463.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 52.0 g