Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A recipe from Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook. Sounds wonderful, so am posting here to try this week. Could also be made in the crockpot, which I'll definitely try.
- 1 kg stewing beef, diced
- 1 liter beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 liters water
- creole seasoning
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 large onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 (800 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 potato, chopped
- 3 sprigs parsley, minced
- 1 cup corn kernel, frozen
- 2 tablespoons uncooked rice
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1 handful broken spaghetti or 1 macaroni
- In a large covered pot, boil meat in seasoned stock and water with whole ribs of celery, whole onion and whole potato.
- Simmer for 3 hours or longer.
- Take soup meat from pot and remove meat from bone. Chop into bite sized pieced, discarding bone and fat.
- Mash well cooked vegetables through a strainer or puree with stock blender. Return these ingredients and meat to the liquid.
- Add al other vegetables and rice, cook until vegetables are well done.
- Break small amount of spaghetti or macaroni into soup during last 20 minutes of cooking.