1/1 Photo of Creole Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
I love eggplant, and am always looking for delicious new ways of preparing them. Here's an interesting recipe for stuffing the purple beauties! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped fine (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper (or red or yellow or orange bell pepper or combination, if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Heat the butter and olive oil together in large skillet.
- 3Add the onion, celery, and garlic and saute over low heat until the onion is translucent.
- 4Add the diced bell pepper and continue to saute until the onion is golden.
- 5In the meantime, stem the eggplants and cut them in half lengthwise.
- 6With a sharp knife, score each half several times lengthwise and across, carefully removing the pulp.
- 7Leave a sturdy shell of about 1/4" all around.
- 8Chop the eggplant pulp and add it to the skillet mixture along with all the remaining ingredients except the bread crumbs.
- 9Add a bit of water, just enough to keep the mixture moist.
- 10Simmer, covered, over low heat until the eggplant is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 11Stir in the bread crumbs.
- 12Set the eggplant shells in an oiled shallow baking dish, which should be of a size that they can be securely propped up against each other.
- 13Stuff the eggplant shells with the sauteed mixture, then drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of melted butter apiece.
- 14Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, or until the shells are tender but not collapsed.
- 15Serve with a bit of grated Parmesan for garnish.
- 16Note: if you do not like green bell pepper, you might want to try substituting with orange, yellow, or red bell pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.8
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 45.9 mg
- Sodium 400.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 6.1 g