1/1 Photo of Creole Jambalaya
After sifting through many Jambalaya recipes and researching traditional Jambalaya methods I came up with this recipe. It is moderately spicy with good flavour and a texture that is not too gummy or too soupy. You can use a store bought spice mix but I highly recommend mixing up your own for the fullest flavour. Leaving the shells of the shrimp intact keeps them tender while the rice is cooking...just remember to warn your diners before they start eating!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 lb andouille sausages or 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, with juices
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 large shrimp, deveined, shells intact
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, saute until brown.
- 2Add sausage, onions, garlic, celery, green pepper and spice mix. Saute stirring occasionally until onions and pepper are tender.
- 3Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes, chicken stock. Stir until well combined.
- 4Reduce heat to low and add shrimp and rice stirring once.
- 5Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes without stirring.
- 6Remove from heat and stir once. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- 7Spoon into serving bowls and top with chopped scallions and fresh parsley. Serve with a baguette and some good white wine.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.5
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 152.4 mg
- Sodium 1107.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 37.1 g