1/5 Photos of Creole Daube
As old as the swamps in Louisiana, this recipe predates the title pot roast! This is the most wonderful tasting pot roast you'll ever try. Worth every minute of the work! I have such fond memories of my grandmother creating this magic in her kitchen and her entire house filled with the heavenly aroma. For the Creole seasoning, I use Emeril's with half the salt and then watch the amount of salt and pepper you add depending on the amount already in your Creole seasoning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 lbs boneless chuck roast
- creole seasoning
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Season the roast with the Creole seasoning.
- 2Make slits in the roast and insert the garlic.
- 3In a 5 qt Dutch oven heat the ¼ cup of the oil.
- 4Over medium heat brown the roast on all sides.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, covered, while preparing the roux.
- 6*If roast sticks, add ¼ cup water.
- 7In a separate heavy pot heat the remaining oil.
- 8Add the flour, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the roux is the color of chocolate.*Take care not to burn the roux. Stir constantly!
- 9Reduce the heat to low and add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and green onion and cook until they are limp.
- 10Stir in the tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes.
- 11Add the wine and 1 cup water slowly to the roux.
- 12Add the parsley, bay leaves, sugar, salt, and pepper to the tomato sauce mixture.
- 13Pour the sauce over the roast.
- 14Simmer slowly on top of the stove for 2-3 hours, or until the roast is very tender.
- 15Add more water if needed.
- 16Season again and serve.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creole Daube
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.8
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 439.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 37.2 g