We've an abundance of crabs in coastal Louisiana. I know no one who has ever turned one of these down. Chill time not included. NOTE: For all the years that I've made these crab cakes, just recently I've used cracker crumbs in place of the breadcrumbs in the recipe and for the exterior coating and think that I might perfer that even more so.
- 1 lb crabmeat, fresh and drained
- 1⁄2 cup italian dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard (grainy mustard)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cajun seasoning or 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour or 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Mix together first 12 ingredients, combining to evenly mix; shape into 6 patties.
- Coat with flour or breadcrumbs. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Bring butter to a sizzle in large skillet; cook on low heat 4 to 7 minutes on each side until golden.