Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
From Good Food Magazine September 1988
Make and share this Creole Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 ounces smoked ham, finely chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, & leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ham, jalapenos, and celery; cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, rice, thyme, pepper, and cayenne. Simmer covered until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in beans and heat through. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Oh this is a definite keeper. I tasted the rice before the beans and cilantro, and it seemed to spicy. But after I added them, it made it just right! Love it! Made for ZWT 9.
WOW, this was even better than I had expected. I love the texture, I could even call the beans creamy. I do need to say that the jalapenos really do make this recipe and I wouldn't recommend skimping on them. The canned beans make it a simple and easy dish to make which is always a .