1/1 Photo of Creamy Chicken Gumbo
1 hr 20 mins
Grandpa Harry's Note:
--A New Orleans specialty. What starts off as a wonderful creme of chicken soup, ends up as a fantastic gumbo with the addition of rice, creole seasonings, ham, and a touch of white wine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups white rice
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 7 cups canned or fresh chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked or canned ham, diced into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce or 3 tablespoons your favorite hot sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning or 1 teaspoon file powder or 1 teaspoon your favorite seasoning salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1Cook the white rice according to package directions, but remove from heat about 15 minutes before it's done.
- 2Drain the excess liquid, and set aside.
- 3In a stock pot over high heat, combine the chicken and the fresh or canned chicken stock.
- 4Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low.
- 5Simmer for 40 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and tender.
- 6Remove chicken from the pot, and allow it to cool.
- 7Reserve liquid stock from pot for later.
- 8When chicken is cool, remove the meat from the bones, cut into bite size pieces, and reserve.
- 9Discard the fat and the bones.
- 10In the same stock pot over medium heat, saute the celery and onion in the a tablespoon of butter for 5 minutes.
- 11Add the ham, and cover.
- 12Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is tender.
- 13Return the liquid stock in the stock pot, and add the partially cooked white rice.
- 14Stir in the Tabasco, white pepper and any creole seasoned salt; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 15Meanwhile, melt the rest of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 16Stir in the flour until smooth.
- 17Whisk in the milk, and continue cooking until mixture is bubbly and thick.
- 18Add some of the stock mixture to the milk mixture, continuing to stir, then stir all of the milk mixture into the stock mixture.
- 19Mix in the reserved chicken meat and the white wine.
- 20Allow this to heat through for about 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Chicken Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.4
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 140.7 mg
- Sodium 707.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 35.0 g