Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A New Orleans favorite.
Make and share this Crawfish Milneburg recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks, beaten well
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 slices American cheese
- 4 cups crawfish tails, boiled and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 6 large pastry shells, baked
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and saute onions and sherry for about 4 minutes. Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Next begin a steady stirring motion and gradually start pouring in the half-and-half keeping heat at medium so the cream doesn't stick. When the mixture is hot, take a few tablespoons and add it to the egg yolks, mixing well. Add the yolk mixture to the sauce whisking until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
- While continued stirring, add cheese one slice at a time until melted. Sauce should be creamy and well blended. Reduce heat to medium low, but continue to stir. Add crawfish tails and parsley, stirring to incorporate. Simmer for another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon generous amounts of mixture, filling the baked pastry shells to overflowing.