The original version of this recipe was published in 'Sonde Off Magazine', Schlumberger Well Services' employee magazine, about 30 years ago.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb crayfish tail, with fat if possible
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion top (green onion)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- hot cooked white rice, as accompaniment (Try Steamed Rice #68340, if desired)
- Make roux of flour and butter in a heavy skillet, and stir until blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, until dark blonde in color, about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and green pepper, and cook until vegetables are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add crawfish fat, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Optionally, a little water can be added to thin mixture at this point.
- Add crawfish tails, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add green onion tops and parsley, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.