Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Taken from "The Essential Rice Cookbook." Easy to prepare and very tasty. Can also be adapted to use shrimp, scallops, squid, alligator, catfish, tilapia, chicken, pork, rattlesnake... any mild-flavored meat.
- Cook rice according to directions on packaging.
- Chop onion.
- Chop peppers, chilli, and celery. Keep or remove seeds as desired.
- Chop green onions.
- Chop meat.
- Make roux by putting vegetable oil in a large, heavy saucepan, then adding flour and whisking to mix. On low heat, stirring frequently, cook until roux thickens and becomes a rich mahogany color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring stock to a boil in a separate saucepan.
- Once you are done with the roux, melt butter in a frying pan and add onions. Cook until they become translucent. Then add peppers, chilli, and celery. Cook about 5 minutes. Then Cajun spices, celery salt, and dried basil.
- While veggies are cooking, whisk boiling stock into roux, return to heat, and simmer about 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add cooked veggies to roux and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Add meat and cook another few minutes. Serve over rice.
- Note: seafood tends to cook quickly. Pork or chicken will probably require pre-cooking. Use your judgment.