1 hr 45 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup corn oil or 1/2 cup bacon fat
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts chopped seperately
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 lbs uncooked crayfish tails, with fat if available
- hot freshly cooked rice
- 1Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan.
- 2Add the flour and cook, stirring, to make medium brown roux (the color of peanut butter).
- 3Add the onion, garlic, celery and the white parts of the scallions and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- 4Gradually stir in the water, then add the tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, 4 Tbsp of the parsley, allspice berries, cloves, salt, peppers, cayenne to taste and the lemon juice.
- 5Bring to a boil, stirring well.
- 6Chop about one-quarter of the crawfish tails and add with the fat, if available.
- 7Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add the remaining whole crawfish tails and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or longer.
- 9Stir in the green parts of the scallions and the remaining parsley.
- 10Serve hot over rice.
- 11NOTE*** If available, add 12 or more stuffed crawfish heads (thawed if frozen) 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crawfish Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.6
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 242.8 mg
- Sodium 628.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: