Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄2 cup bacon fat
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts chopped seperately
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 lbs uncooked crayfish tails, with fat if available
- hot freshly cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, to make medium brown roux (the color of peanut butter).
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and the white parts of the scallions and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in the water, then add the tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, 4 Tbsp of the parsley, allspice berries, cloves, salt, peppers, cayenne to taste and the lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Chop about one-quarter of the crawfish tails and add with the fat, if available.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining whole crawfish tails and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or longer.
- Stir in the green parts of the scallions and the remaining parsley.
- Serve hot over rice.
- NOTE*** If available, add 12 or more stuffed crawfish heads (thawed if frozen) 5 minutes before serving.