With roots in Africa, this recipe comes from Georgia (the number one peanut producing state in the USA). Found this in a magazine and thought it looked too fun not to share. :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups peanuts or 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb yams (amount approximate, medium sized) or 1 lb sweet potato (amount approximate, medium sized)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (NOT coconut cream)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh is best)
- 1/2 cup caramel popped popcorn (Cracker Jack, Cracker Jack or your own recipe)
- 1If using peanuts, grind peanuts and 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a food processor or a blender. If using peanut butter, omit oil.
- 2Cook onion and yam in remaining oil plus butter in a large stockpot for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- 3Add stock coconut milk and peanut butter.
- 4Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5Let cool slightly and whirl in blender until smooth.
- 6Season to taste and finish with the fresh lime juice.
- 7Reheat and garnish with Cracker Jacks.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cracker Jack Soup
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.0
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 279.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
caramel popped popcorn