Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
With roots in Africa, this recipe comes from Georgia (the number one peanut producing state in the USA). Found this in a magazine and thought it looked too fun not to share. :-)
- 1 1⁄4 cups peanuts or 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb yams (amount approximate, medium sized) or 1 lb sweet potato (amount approximate, medium sized)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (NOT coconut cream)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup caramel popped popcorn (Cracker Jack, Cracker Jack or your own recipe)
- If using peanuts, grind peanuts and 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a food processor or a blender. If using peanut butter, omit oil.
- Cook onion and yam in remaining oil plus butter in a large stockpot for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add stock coconut milk and peanut butter.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and whirl in blender until smooth.
- Season to taste and finish with the fresh lime juice.
- Reheat and garnish with Cracker Jacks.