Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
With roots in Africa, this recipe comes from Georgia (the number one peanut producing state in the USA). Found this in a magazine and thought it looked too fun not to share. :-)
- 1 1⁄4 cups peanuts or 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb yams (amount approximate, medium sized) or 1 lb sweet potato (amount approximate, medium sized)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (NOT coconut cream)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup caramel popped popcorn (Cracker Jack, Cracker Jack or your own recipe)
- If using peanuts, grind peanuts and 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a food processor or a blender. If using peanut butter, omit oil.
- Cook onion and yam in remaining oil plus butter in a large stockpot for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add stock coconut milk and peanut butter.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and whirl in blender until smooth.
- Season to taste and finish with the fresh lime juice.
- Reheat and garnish with Cracker Jacks.