1/2 Photos of Crab Meat Au Gratin
Witch Doctor's Note:
This recipe comes from a famous New Orleans restaurant but I don't remember which one! However, I remember the taste of the dish and have been trying to duplicate for years. This is very good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb crabmeat, white (from body)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped (or scallions)
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 cup grated American cheese (or Cheddar)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, extra for topping
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- 1In a heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, melt butter, add onions and celery.
- 2Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and transparent but not brown.
- 3Stir in the flour, blend well.
- 4Add milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
- 5Add pepper, nutmeg, mustard and cheese.
- 6Take pot away from heat.
- 7Beat egg yolk and lemon juice.
- 8Then add crabmeat, mix well.
- 9Butter baking pan or individual baking dishes.
- 10Add onion/cheese mixture to baking pan.
- 11Pour egg mixture over all.
- 12Combine cheese and breadcrumbs, sprinkle over top of mixture, then add dash of paprika.
- 13Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes until top is au gratin, brown and crusty.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Meat Au Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.7
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 137.9 mg
- Sodium 1189.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 28.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: