This recipe comes from a famous New Orleans restaurant but I don't remember which one! However, I remember the taste of the dish and have been trying to duplicate for years. This is very good!
- 1 lb crabmeat, white (from body)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped (or scallions)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3⁄4 cup grated American cheese (or Cheddar)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, extra for topping
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- In a heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, melt butter, add onions and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and transparent but not brown.
- Stir in the flour, blend well.
- Add milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add pepper, nutmeg, mustard and cheese.
- Take pot away from heat.
- Beat egg yolk and lemon juice.
- Then add crabmeat, mix well.
- Butter baking pan or individual baking dishes.
- Add onion/cheese mixture to baking pan.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Combine cheese and breadcrumbs, sprinkle over top of mixture, then add dash of paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes until top is au gratin, brown and crusty.