I know there are several recipes on here for country fried steak. I didn't see any here the way I make mine, so I decided to post it. Please don't let the long list of instructions bother you, it’s easier than it looks. If you try it I hope you enjoy it! posted on January 27th 2006.
- Mix together egg and milk in a medium sized shallow bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, place flour on a sheet of aluminum foil or a flat plate.
- Take a piece of steak covering each side with flour.
- Press flour into meat with palm of your hand.
- Place flour covered meat one piece at a time in egg, making sure meat is covered with egg mixture.
- Repeat step 5.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 with remaining steak.
- Place each piece of meat in skillet, sprinkle each piece with 1/4 teaspoon of each seasoning salt and pepper (can add more seasoning salt and pepper if desired).
- Lightly brown each side of steak for 5 to 6 minutes or until desired brownness is reached.
- Serve with your favorite gravy and your favorite sides.
LOVED IT! I'd never used self-rising flour for the breading before and it worked perfectly. I used Homemade Self-Rising Flour - Substitute for the self-rising flour but cut the salt in half on that recipe. For this recipe I made it exactly as directed and it was quite delicious. Thank you for posting Shapeweaver, this makes a yummy quick weekday meal. Made for Comfort Food tag in the Photo Forum, please see my rating system.
Fabulous! Thanks for the recipe. My husband loved having beef covered in sausage gravy! I will schedule our cardiac caths tomorrow.
Easy and excellent. Served for family dinner and everyone liked it.