1 hr 20 mins
Nita Holleman's Note:
Wonderful dressing for anytime you want a good side dish to go with baked chicken, turkey, or other fowl or fresh pork, Traditional at Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups chopped vidalia onions or 2 cups sweet onions (peeled and chopped fine)
- 1 cup chopped celery (scraped, strings removed and chopped fine)
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread, southern style,ala nita (allowed to dry out)
- 2 cups crumbled day old white bread, allowed to dry out (light)
- 3 -4 small spring green onions, trimmed,peeled and sliced thin
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh parsley, stems removed and finely minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons granulated sugar or 2 -3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute, sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onions, magic or 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 large fresh eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 cups chicken stock (remove some of the grease) or 5 cups campbell chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1Preheat Oven to 425 Degrees F.
- 2Grease a 9 X 13 pan and set aside.
- 3In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter, but do not burn.
- 4Add onion and saute over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- 5Add celery and continue sauteing for another 2 or 3 minutes or until onions are soft and somewhat translucent.
- 6Do NOT brown.
- 7Remove pan from burner and set aside.
- 8(Turn burner off.) In a large bowl or pan, combine breads, green onion, parsley and rest of seasonings.
- 9Add sauteed onions, celery and drippings.
- 10Mix well.
- 11Add eggs, chicken broth or stock and melted butter.
- 12Mix well.
- 13Stuffing mixture should be"wet" and thick like cake batter or soup.
- 14Add water if needed, but not too much.
- 15Pour stuffing mixture into greased pan and bake for about 40 minutes.
- 16Nita's Note: I do NOT add sage or boiled eggs to my dressing.
- 17Sage is not traditional in my family and many people do not like it.
- 18Boiled eggs toughen and"weep" when reheated.
- 19Eggs are better added to the bread when it is made.
- 20I do not"stuff" chicken or turkey.
- 21This is again, not traditional in our family.
- 22Now we are told by the health department folks that doing so can be dangerous and lead to food poisoning.
- 23Cornbread Dressing is served as a side dish with sliced or pulled chicken or turkey, cranberry sauce and gravy-- Either giblet gravy, or cream of chicken or turkey gravy.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Dressing ala Nita
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.0
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 197.8 mg
- Sodium 662.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: