1/4 Photos of Chile Cornmeal Crusted Tofu
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Yum, Yum! I adapted this recipe from Veganomicon, and it turned out great. I really, really like the use of cornstarch and soy milk to mimick the raw egg traditionally used in "breading" recipes. I used the tofu to make "Po Boy" style sandwiches by placing the fried tofu on grilled rolls with chipotle vegan mayo and fresh yellow tomatoes. The only major change I made from the original recipe was to add a tsp or two of Old Bay Seasoning, and some extra salt (I actually used Penzey's Special Smokey Seasoned Salt)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the tofu block into 8 slices, widthwise. Then cut each slice in half diagonally, to make 16 triangles.
- 2Using a wide shallow dish, add the soymilk and cornstarch and wisk until well combined, and cornstarch is completely disolved.
- 3In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, spices, salt and zest, and gently wisk to combine.
- 4Heat about 1/4 inch canola oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- 5Dip each tofu triangle into the soymilk mixture, and then dredge completely in the seasoned cornmeal mixture.
- 6When oil is hot, fry pieces in skillet for about 3 minutes on each side, I usually do 6-8 pieces at a time.
- 7Drain on paper towels.
- 8Serve plain, or on grilled rolls with vegan mayo, lettuce and tomato!
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Cornmeal Crusted Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.3
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 646.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning