Very simple, easy and delicious Gumbo. First gumbo I tried and we have made many times with family and friends. Recipe was originally given to us by another friend! Note: We normally make this on the more bland side and then keep a bottle of Tabasco sauce around to spice things up to our liking!
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken (cooked and diced)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or more to your liking!)
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- Cook green pepper and onion in butter in a large saucepan until tender but not brown. Stir in flour. Add tomatoes, cooked chicken, tsp of the salt, thyme, and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in rice and 1 tsp salt. (You may also want to add additional butter in at this time.) Cover tightly for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp to gumbo and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir parsley into rice.
- To serve, combine stew and rice into individual serving bowls.