1/1 Photo of Chicken Shrimp Gumbo
Virginia Cherry Blossom's Note:
Very simple, easy and delicious Gumbo. First gumbo I tried and we have made many times with family and friends. Recipe was originally given to us by another friend! Note: We normally make this on the more bland side and then keep a bottle of Tabasco sauce around to spice things up to our liking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1/3 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups chicken (cooked and diced)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or more to your liking!)
- 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 1Cook green pepper and onion in butter in a large saucepan until tender but not brown. Stir in flour. Add tomatoes, cooked chicken, tsp of the salt, thyme, and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in rice and 1 tsp salt. (You may also want to add additional butter in at this time.) Cover tightly for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add shrimp to gumbo and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir parsley into rice.
- 4To serve, combine stew and rice into individual serving bowls.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Shrimp Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.4
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.9 mg
- Sodium 1208.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: