Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My brother, who is a fabulous cook, gave me this recipe over 20 years ago, and it's still one of my favorites.
- 1 (4 lb) frying chickens
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 lbs kielbasa or 1 1⁄4 lbs smoked sausage, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 lb baked ham, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons file powder
- Put the chicken in a pot and add enough water just to cover. Boil just until done.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, reserving the liquid. When the chicken cools enough to handle, remove the skin, take the meat off the bones and cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large pot over medium high heat, then add the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until it is a medium brown, lowering the heat to avoid burning, if necessary.
- Add the sausage, ham, onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add about 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth, the chicken, and all seasonings except the file powder. Stir in the rest of the reserved chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for one hour, uncovered.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the file powder, then let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.
This gumbo recipe is awesome! Being from southern Louisiana I have eaten quite a few and this is easily one of the best I have eaten, and everyone that has tasted it loved it! The only things I have altered is instead of using baked ham I use Tasso, but I know that is not going to be available everywhere. I also used Andouille sausage in it once and green onion smoked sausage once, I preferred the flavor of the green onion sausage.
This is really good. I added Tabasco and used Turkey Ham and beef sausage. We also us the vinegar off of the pickled jalapenos to taste when we served it.
This is some really great tasting file gumbo....I did as instructed, but I did use 5 frozen breast filets instead of a whole chicken,as I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait on the chicken to cook,and then cool enough to handle,but I loved the gumbo. it was a great tasting dish. Thanks so much,Darlene