Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was adapted from a recipe provided by - National Chicken Council / US Poultry & Egg Assn. I poached the chicken so as to avoid sautéing. It is really delicious and has been enjoyed by the "targeted" residents that might possibly like it and they did - they really loved it with vegetables and all! I did shred the chicken to make it easier for them to eat.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 20 -28 ounces low sodium chicken broth (we used low-fat Seasoned Chicken Broth with Roasted Garlic)
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat ranch dressing (we used Hidden Valley Original Ranch Light & added cucumber to it.)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mrs. dash lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (if possible use less) or 2 teaspoons cooking spray
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (we used the cabbage mix for coleslaw) or 1 cup shredded cabbage (we used the cabbage mix for coleslaw)
- 4 pita bread, loaves halved
- Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to flatten.
- To make sauce, combine ranch dressing and one peeled, seeded & chopped cucumber.
- In large skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil.(If you can, use less - I have also made these with chicken broth and not oil.).
- Add mushrooms and onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from pan; set aside.
- Heat chicken broth and add chicken.
- Poach for 3 minutes per side or until internal juices run clear. (Watch carefully so it does not get rubbery!).
- Slice into strips or shred.
- Stuff pita bread halves with lettuce or cabbage, chicken strips and mushroom mixture.
- Top with Hidden Valley Original Light salad dressing with a chopped to tiny bites & deseeded cucumber.
- Serve with carrot sticks, jicama strips, celery slices, green onions made into fans, & whatever else you can think of.