This recipe was adapted from a recipe provided by - National Chicken Council / US Poultry & Egg Assn. I poached the chicken so as to avoid sautéing. It is really delicious and has been enjoyed by the "targeted" residents that might possibly like it and they did - they really loved it with vegetables and all! I did shred the chicken to make it easier for them to eat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 20 -28 ounces low sodium chicken broth (we used low-fat Seasoned Chicken Broth with Roasted Garlic)
- 3/4 cup low-fat ranch dressing (we used Hidden Valley Original Ranch Light & added cucumber to it.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mrs. dash lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (if possible use less) or 2 teaspoons cooking spray
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (we used the cabbage mix for coleslaw) or 1 cup shredded cabbage (we used the cabbage mix for coleslaw)
- 4 pita bread, loaves halved
- 1Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to flatten.
- 2To make sauce, combine ranch dressing and one peeled, seeded & chopped cucumber.
- 3In large skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil.(If you can, use less - I have also made these with chicken broth and not oil.).
- 4Add mushrooms and onion; cook 3 minutes or until tender.
- 5Remove from pan; set aside.
- 6Heat chicken broth and add chicken.
- 7Poach for 3 minutes per side or until internal juices run clear. (Watch carefully so it does not get rubbery!).
- 8Slice into strips or shred.
- 9Stuff pita bread halves with lettuce or cabbage, chicken strips and mushroom mixture.
- 10Top with Hidden Valley Original Light salad dressing with a chopped to tiny bites & deseeded cucumber.
- 11Serve with carrot sticks, jicama strips, celery slices, green onions made into fans, & whatever else you can think of.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pita Pockets
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.9
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.8 mg
- Sodium 864.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemon pepper seasoning