Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Hearty and filling
Make and share this Chicken Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into disks
- 10 ounces chicken gizzards (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 64 ounces chicken broth, to cover
- water, to cover
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- chopped parsley
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- Put chopped onion pepper and celery in bowl set aside. Make roux with oil and flour, when done add veggies turn off heat and stir until cooled.
- Put chicken broth into pot and bring to boil. Add the roux mixture and stir until blended well. Add all the other ingredients besides the rice mixture, bring to boil and simmer until chicken is tender.
- Cook the rice and let it cool all the way. Fluff it, and add the chopped onions, parsley, and bell pepper and mix well.