2 hrs 20 mins
This is my mom's recipe, which she sent to me while I was far from home on a Supar Bowl Sunday and craving a good meal to remind me of great family moments during Super Bowls past. I've had it over rice and couscous, and rice is better, but couscous is good, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 3 quarts water or 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breasts or 6 chicken legs-thighs
- shelled shrimp (optional)
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 green peppers, finely chopped
- 4 pieces celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon file powder (fee-lay)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb smoked ham or 1/2 lb sausage, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1To make dry roux, heat a large (heavy) pan over med/high heat. Add the flour and stir constantly from the middle out until flour is the color of cinnamon (~30 min).
- 2Take the roux out of the skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- 3Bring water or broth to a boil and simmer over med/high heat.
- 4In a large, heavy skillet heat oil until hot but not smoking. Brown chicken until golden (~3 min on each side).
- 5Drain meat on paper towels and add to simmering water or broth.
- 6Drain all but 3 tbspns. oil from pan and add onions, garlic, peppers, celery, and file powder. Cook over med. heat until onions are soft (~10 min). (The file will become ropy at first, but will liquefy as it cooks.).
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.1
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.9 mg
- Sodium 364.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: