Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Southern Living. This is a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey. I had this at a friend's house and it was a big hit!
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups packed crumbled cornbread
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sauté celery and onion in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender; set aside.
- Combine cornbread and poultry seasoning in a large bowl.
- Layer half of cornbread mixture on bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- Combine onion mixture, chicken, and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon mixture evenly over top of cornbread mixture in dish.
- Top evenly with remaining half of cornbread mixture, and drizzle with butter.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven, and top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 10 more minutes or until cheese is golden.
This dish was good but kind of dry for us. I think we like a wetter, chunkier dressing.
This dish is easy and delicious! Thanks
I made cornbread that was too dry and didn't want to just toss it. I found this on a search and my DH said this is a make again meal. It was too easy too. Thanks for the great idea.