Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious and quick recipe using pre-cooked chicken. Great for a weeknight dinner. Use your own pre-cooked chicken, or buy a deli-roasted chicken...both yield about 3 cups of cooked chicken. Featured in Southern Living's 40 Years of Our Best Recipes cookbook as a "Quick & Easy" recipe. From some of the reviews, I think it isn't as quick and easy as they would like :).
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3 cups chicken, precooked and chopped
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons creole mustard, divided into 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp portions
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning, I prefer Tony Cachere's
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- green onion, sliced
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, 4 sliced green onions, and 1 pressed garlic clove. Saute 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
- Stir together bell pepper mixture, chopped chicken, 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, 1 large beaten egg, 2 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp creole mustard, and 1 tsp creole seasoning. Shape chicken mixture into 8 (3 1/2 inch) patties.
- Fry 4 patties in 2 tbsp hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat process once until patties are done.
- Remoulade Sauce:.
- Stir together 1 cup mayo, 3 sliced green onions, 2 tbsp creole mustard, 2 pressed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, and 1/4 tsp ground red pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken patties topped with remoulade sauce. Garnish with sliced green onions. Enjoy!
Good recipe. Though I am a slower chopper than average, we thought the cakes were okay, but we really enjoyed the sauce and garnishes/toppings with them. It made a nice compliment. I did have a little , and I mean little trouble though keeping these together. All in all they were nicely seasoned. Made for Zaar Stars.
I don't know if this recipe NEEDS the sauce to taste good, but I figured I'd try it without it. Just using the patty portion of this recipe did not go over well. The flavor was OK, not wonderful and the consistency was crumby and dry. It tasted like fried breadcrumbs with a tiny bit of flavor. I'm sure I did something wrong as the other reviews seem positive.
The taste was awesome! I will have to say that it wasn't as easy and quick as I would like it, however I did use my food processor to chop the chicken. I added capers to the remoulade sauce but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. My boys absolutely thought this was the greatest! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.