This is a delicious and quick recipe using pre-cooked chicken. Great for a weeknight dinner. Use your own pre-cooked chicken, or buy a deli-roasted chicken...both yield about 3 cups of cooked chicken. Featured in Southern Living's 40 Years of Our Best Recipes cookbook as a "Quick & Easy" recipe. From some of the reviews, I think it isn't as quick and easy as they would like :).
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3 cups chicken, precooked and chopped
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons creole mustard, divided into 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp portions
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning, I prefer Tony Cachere's
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- green onion, sliced
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, 4 sliced green onions, and 1 pressed garlic clove. Saute 3 to 4 minutes until tender.
- Stir together bell pepper mixture, chopped chicken, 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, 1 large beaten egg, 2 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp creole mustard, and 1 tsp creole seasoning. Shape chicken mixture into 8 (3 1/2 inch) patties.
- Fry 4 patties in 2 tbsp hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat process once until patties are done.
- Remoulade Sauce:.
- Stir together 1 cup mayo, 3 sliced green onions, 2 tbsp creole mustard, 2 pressed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, and 1/4 tsp ground red pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken patties topped with remoulade sauce. Garnish with sliced green onions. Enjoy!