Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from Cooking Light. You can use Andouille, Kielbasa, or Italian Sausage. My first time making this, I used a venison sausage.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sausage, cut into slices
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and bay leaves; cook until vegetables are golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and next 8 ingredients (through garlic); cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in rice.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Stir in green onions.
Made for "I Recommend" Recipe Tag. This was fantastic and so easy. The flavors were just right and we were able to get two meals out of it - my kind of dish! Cook once eat twice! Most definitely will make this again and maybe even add some shrimp. Thanks KelBel for a great recipe!
This dish was excellent. I made the recipe exactly except I used bone-in chicken, so I boiled and deboned before putting the dish together. It had so much flavor. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed. Will make it again.
Delicious! I used andouille sausage which added just that 'Cajun' heat to this dish. I added the rice uncooked and needed to add a little more broth to the pan. We enjoyed this simple and tasty dish very much. Thanks KelBel for a keeper.