Adapted from Cooking Light. You can use Andouille, Kielbasa, or Italian Sausage. My first time making this, I used a venison sausage.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sausage, cut into slices
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups celery, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and bay leaves; cook until vegetables are golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and next 8 ingredients (through garlic); cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in rice.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Stir in green onions.