1/3 Photos of Chicken and Dumplings
1 hr 45 mins
I got this recipe from a dear friend. It is an example of good old Southern cooking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place hen or chicken in a large pot with enough water to cover. (You could also use several chicken breasts instead of whole chicken.).
- 2Cook on low-medium heat until done. Remove the chicken from the pot. Keep the broth in the pot. You will cook the dumplings in this broth.
- 3Cool the chicken until you can remove the skin and bones. (I usually shred the chicken, but you can cube it if you wish.).
- 4Meanwhile, mix the flour, salt and shortening with a fork until it resembles crumbs.
- 5Add milk and mix well.
- 6Roll out to about 1/8 inch on floured waxed paper or on a floured counter.
- 7Let set for about 30 minutes while you debone and shred cooked chicken.
- 8Cut the dough into strips. (I usually use a pizza cutter for this & cut the strips about 1"x2 or 3" wide.).
- 9Put the chicken and 1/3 cup butter into the broth in the pot.
- 10Bring the broth to a boil.
- 11Drop the dough strips into the boiling broth, one at a time.
- 12Simmer for 30 minutes, then serve in bowls.
- 13NOTE: I usually double the amount of dumpling dough. My family likes lots of dumplings. I have made this ahead by freezing the cut dumplings on a cookie sheet, then transferring to a zip-lock bag. Freeze the broth with shredded chicken in a separate container. When you're ready to eat them, just heat the broth & chicken to a boil (thaw dumplings while heating broth) and drop in the dumplings & cook according to directions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.9
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 129.7 mg
- Sodium 492.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 20.4 g