My personal rendition of a WW recipe that I love because it packs all the flavors of NOLA while managing to be both fast and light. The level of heat here varies so much based on your brand of Cajun spice and sausage - so taste and adjust accordingly. For those who *do* count points, try finding the lowfat chicken andouille sausage. Half the points of the regular so you can add more to the dish. (Points confirmed on WW Recipe Builder.)
- cooking spray
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken breast tenders, 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cajun spices (try Cajun Spice Rub Mix Recipe)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 lb andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Cut chicken into 1 inch or slightly smaller cubes. Season with garlic powder and Cajun spice mix.
- Place nonstick over medium high heat. Give a quick shot of cooking spray and add the seasoned chicken. Cook for a minute and add the andouille sausage. Continue to cook for three to four minutes until the chicken is opaque.
- Remove chicken and sausage from pan and cover to keep warm. Gently wipe the pan to remove the excess oil. Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook for four to five minutes.
- Stir the canned tomatoes and tomato paste into the skillet. Return the chicken and sausage and simmer for six to eight minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked rice for additional points.