Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional Southern favorite, with creamed corn added for extra creaminess. It's hearty enough to be a meatless main dish!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon instant vegetable bouillon granules (or chicken granules)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- In a medium saucepan bring water and vegetable (or chicken) granules to boiling.
- Gradually stir in grits.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in onion and the 1/2 cup cheese.
- Stir in eggs, milk, and corn.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 1-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until set in center.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Let stand 1 to 2 minutes before serving to melt cheese.
- Makes 4 servings.
Very good casserole and easy to prepare.
Recipe did not make a lot, so should double for 4 or more.
I added some heat- cayenne pepper.
Thanks for sharing.
This is a great side dish casserole! I don't care for onions so subbed green chilis, otherwise made as specified. I had to cook mine about 15 minutes longer than directed to get the middle cooked through. The corn was a nice touch, making this a creamy and filling casserole. Served with ham and a green salad - thanks for posting the recipe!
Yum Yum!! We loved these grits. True southern fare at its best! Thanks!