1 hr 30 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
Straight out of NW Alabama, this is my wife's signature dish at hollidays. Mind you, I stole this from her, so I'm hoping and trusting the amounts are accurate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cornbread (for two normal recipes)
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (sweet onions like Vidalia)
- 1/2 celery heart, chopped
- 3/8 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons ground sage (or to taste, we like sage a lot)
- 1 cup turkey stock (she uses pan drippings)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or until moist)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (or more to your liking)
- salt and pepper
- 1Make two recipes of cornbread according to the mix directions (amounts listed are for 2 recipes).
- 2Crumble cornbread into the roasting pan used for a turkey with turkey crust left in the pan (or large, shallow casserole baking dish).
- 3Fry the onions and celery in 3/4 stick of butter until tender.
- 4Add to cornbread and mix well.
- 5Add sage, dripping, cream of chicken soup, evaportated milk, eggs and broth.
- 6Taste and adjust seasonings like salt and pepper and sage.
- 7Mix well and wet the surface using extra broth and the back of a spoon to smooth.
- 8Bake at 350 F until thick and browned on top. Dressing should be moist.
- 9Serve with giblet gravy.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charlotte's Southern Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.3
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 102.2 mg
- Sodium 448.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: