Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve with Hush Puppies
Make and share this Catfish With Cornmeal Breading recipe from Food.com.
- Put flour in shallow dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, and salt in another bowl.
- Combine cornmeal, celery salt, paprika, pepper and mustard in shallow dish.
- Lightly coat fish in flour.
- Dip in milk/egg wash.
- Coat with corn meal.
- Put fish on paper towels on a baking sheet.
- Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Heat oil to 375 in a deep heavy pan.
- Heat oven to 300.
- Carefully add fish in batches to hot oil.
- Lower heat to medium high.
- Turn fish, cook until coating is golden brown and fish is opaque.
- Remove fish, drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm in oven.
- Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.
Delicious recipe, tasted great on tilapia. Instead of adding salt to the wet mixture, I put normal salt in the dry mixture, while omitting the celery salt altogether. Also, I didn't have paprika so used cayenne instead. I prefer baked fish to fried, so I baked the tilapia fillets at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I'll use this recipe again.
This was really good!! My fish came out nice and brown and so juicy and tender!! I think it could you more of the garlic powder. I couldn't taste it in mine. I used a True Cod Filet. I will use this recipe again. Thanks for posting!! Made for PAC Spring '09
I altered this a little. I added in some lemon/herb seasoning, garlic, and lemon pepper to the cornmeal. The catfish come out just as good as store bought or restaurant bought. Good recipe. First time I used it, I wasn't sure about using paper towels, thinking they would stick to them and it would be a mess, but it wasn't at all. We love this quick and easy recipe and use it all the time!