This Cajun style catfish is simply divine! Dresses it up a bit, too. Definitely good enough for company!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 ounces catfish fillets
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups rice, prepared
- 1/4 lb small shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1/4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1Prepare shrimp topping first: Combine 2 Tbsp oil and flour with a wire whisk and cook in a heavy skillet until light brown. Set mixture aside.
- 2Cook celery, green pepper, and onion in 1 Tbsp oil in skillet over med-high heat stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add shrimp and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Stir in water and remaining ingredients. Heat to bubbling. Gradually stir in reserved flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- 4Cook until thoroughly heated, then remove from heat but keep warm.
- 5Catfish: In a medium bowl combine eggs and next 3 ingredients, plus 2 tsp cajun seasoning and set aside.
- 6In a shallow dish combine flour and remaining 2 tsp cajun seasoning.
- 7Dredge each fillet in flour, then in the egg mixture and fry in hot oil 5 minutes each side, or until golden. (fry in batches, if necessary).
- 8Remove from oil and drain on paper towel.
- 9Serve over hot rice with shrimp topping spooned onto each fillet.
- 10Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or scallions, and a lemon wedge.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Catfish Louisiana
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1427.7
- Calories from Fat 644
- Total Fat 71.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 163.5 mg
- Sodium 251.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 161.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 29.9 g