In the Carolinas rice often means pilau (pronounced perloo), a combination of meat, vegetables, or seafood and rice that can serve as an accompaniment to other dishes or stand alone as a staple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry the bacon in a large skillet over very low heat, just until it reaches the crisp stage. Remove from pan, crumble and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat, then add the rice and stir, cooking slowly until rice is lightly browned.
- 2Add the boiling stock, stir, and bring back to the boil.
- 3Add chicken, vegetables, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until rice, chicken and vegetables are done and liquid is absorbed.
- 5Serving Ideas : Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and parsley.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carolina Pilau (Perloo)
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.6
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 92.1 mg
- Sodium 665.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 25.8 g