Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
In the Carolinas rice often means pilau (pronounced perloo), a combination of meat, vegetables, or seafood and rice that can serve as an accompaniment to other dishes or stand alone as a staple.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over very low heat, just until it reaches the crisp stage. Remove from pan, crumble and set aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat, then add the rice and stir, cooking slowly until rice is lightly browned.
- Add the boiling stock, stir, and bring back to the boil.
- Add chicken, vegetables, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until rice, chicken and vegetables are done and liquid is absorbed.
- Serving Ideas : Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and parsley.