I found this on the Cooking Louisiana website and want to make sure I keep it handy. It looks fabulous, but I haven't tried it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large onions, halved and sliced kind of thin
- 4 tablespoons butter (or bacon grease)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil (or enough to cover bottom of pan about 1/4-inch)
- 2 lbs young calf liver, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 1Wash liver, put in a zip bag with milk and put in the ice box for an hour or so.
- 2Remove liver from bag, season with salt and pepper. Dust the liver with flour in a pan and leave them in the flour.
- 3In a medium sized skillet, sauté the onions in butter until slightly brown and remove and drain Drain any leftover butter in a cup. While doing this, dust the liver once more and set on a plate. Let the liver rest a few minutes.
- 4Add the cooking oil to the same pan and heat until ready to fry inches Put two or three pieces of liver in the oil leaving a 1" space between each. Keep the oil at a good temperature to maintain frying. Fry liver on each side until golden brown and remove. You are not trying to fully cook it, just brown it.
- 5Take the liver out, put it a plate and cover it with foil. Pour the oil out into the the cup with the butter in it to make about 1/4 cup; pour this back in the pan and put on a medium fire. Add enough flour to make a small medium brown roux. Add chicken stock (or water) enough to make the roux a medium thickness. Be sure to boil this and sprinkle some garlic powder in it.
- 6Remove roux and in the same pan return liver, onions (regular and green) and roux. Cook on medium fire for about 15 minutes (stirring every 5 minutes) or so or until liver is done but not overdone.
Browse Our Top Beef Organ Meats Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beef Organ Meats Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calf Liver and Onions Louisiana-Style
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1263.2
- Calories from Fat 732
- Total Fat 81.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 797.5 mg
- Sodium 464.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 58.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: