1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Chef #188209's Note:
This is a spicy vegetarian dish sure to rev up your taste buds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs greens, washed and stemmed (collard, mustard, or turnip)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup liquid hot pepper sauce (such as Texas Pete's)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon file powder (a Cajun spice)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1Place the greens in a large soup pot with enough water to just cover the greens. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the cooking water.
- 2On a cutting board, coarsely chop the greens and set aside.
- 3In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk 1/4 cup oil and the flour together and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is a dark reddish-brown, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- 4In the large soup pot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté the onions, bell pepper, celery, and tomatoes for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are wilted.
- 5Add the hot sauce, bay leaves, file powder, cayenne, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- 6Add the roux, vegetable or faux chicken broth, and the reserved greens-cooking water, stirring well to blend in the roux.
- 7Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the cooked collard greens, okra, kidney beans, and rice and cook for 5 minutes.
- 8Remove the bay leaves and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Vegetable Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (661 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.1
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1335.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: