1/2 Photos of Cajun Spice Blend
I was looking for Cajun seasoning for my New Year's Day black eyed peas. This is based on Julie Sahni's recipe in "Savoring Spices and Herbs" with a few alterations. Everyone loved the peas, btw. NOTES: I ground only 1/2 the herbs/spices for textural effect. I usually grind up a whole nutmeg & store in a jar so there's always an amount of fresh nutmeg on hand. "Cook" time = grate & mix time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons dried basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon powdered dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1Combine the black peppercorns & cumin seeds in a spice/coffee grinder that is used for ONLY spices & grind until spices are coarsely ground.
- 2Add celery seeds & 1TB each basil, oregano, parsley & red pepper flakes.
- 3Pulse until ground but not powdered.
- 4Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl & stir with a whisk until well mixed.
- 5Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Spice Blend
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.8
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 126.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.9 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 12.8 g