I was looking for Cajun seasoning for my New Year's Day black eyed peas. This is based on Julie Sahni's recipe in "Savoring Spices and Herbs" with a few alterations. Everyone loved the peas, btw. NOTES: I ground only 1/2 the herbs/spices for textural effect. I usually grind up a whole nutmeg & store in a jar so there's always an amount of fresh nutmeg on hand. "Cook" time = grate & mix time.
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons dried basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon powdered dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- Combine the black peppercorns & cumin seeds in a spice/coffee grinder that is used for ONLY spices & grind until spices are coarsely ground.
- Add celery seeds & 1TB each basil, oregano, parsley & red pepper flakes.
- Pulse until ground but not powdered.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl & stir with a whisk until well mixed.
- Store in an airtight container.