Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Nothing goes better with fried chicken than red beans and rice. This is a remarkably good, yet easy recipe.
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 3 jalapenos (minced)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 quarts red beans (dry, rinced, sorted)
- 6 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 quart brown rice
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In med hot pan, fry bacon, remove and retain 2 tbs of drippings. Chop fried bacon.
- Saute the onions, bell pepper, celery, jalapenos, and garlic until translucent in the bacon drippings.
- Add remaining butter and spices, except salt and stir for 5-7 minutes.
- Add beans, 5 quarts of the broth (enough to cover beans), and Tabasco and bring to a boil. Keep remaining broth hot in another pan. Reduce to a simmer.
- After about an hour, add the rice, and chopped bacon and continue cooking until the beans are done (about another hour).
- NOTE: Cooking time can be reduced by using canned beans. Just add the canned beans and rice at the same time and cook for 1 hour.
- Add additional broth as needed. Season with salt to taste and serve.
I think I might have to try downsizing this recipe...but you got a chuckle out of me when I read it was simple... LOL Other than that... it sounds like the ingredients are lovely... and could have the potential to make an very tasty dish. Thanks.