Susie in Texas's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, Ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup onion, Finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, Minced
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup catsup
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2Melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix.
- 4Saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well.
- 5Stir in the milk and catsup.
- 6Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- 8Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- 9Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture and the bread crumbs, remove the bay leaves.
- 10Mix by hand until thoroughly combined.
- 11In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1-1/2 inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- 12Bake uncovered at 350F for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400F and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.
- 13Serve immediately as is or with Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef.
- 14This is best using both ground pork and ground beef, as the pork gives more flavor diversity.
- 15However, you can make it with ground beef only.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.2
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 192.8 mg
- Sodium 833.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 32.6 g