Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A great balanced meatloaf with cajun spices! Adapted from Great Good Food cookbook by Julee Rosso!
Make and share this Cajun Meat Loaf With a Cool Tomato Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups plum tomatoes, finely diced (or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- To make salsa:.
- Place all salsa ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for about an hour to let flavors marry.
- Yield: 2 cups.
- To make meatloaf:.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Move to a large mixing bowl.
- Now add the jalapeno pepper, tomatoes, capers, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and cayenne to the onion mixture, and mix completely.
- Add the ground beef and turkey, bread crumbs, and milk. Mix thoroughly.
- Place the meat loaf in a 9 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2" bread pan. Place in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours, until crusty brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the salsa. Enjoy!