1 hr 15 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
This side dish is an excellent acccompaniment to any Cajun or Creole entree. Maque Choux usually does not contain okra, that's my little enhancement!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slice bacon
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 946.36 ml corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
- 473.18 ml sliced okra
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2.46 ml cajun seasoning or 2.46 ml creole seasoning, to taste
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 1Cook bacon in a frying pan until crisp.
- 2Drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside.
- 3Melt butter in the bacon fat over medium heat.
- 4Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic, saute for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- 5Stir in corn, okra, tomatoes, cayenne and cajun seasoning, cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add chick broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook partially covered for 45 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- 7Remove from heat.
- 8Stir in crumbled bacon and serve.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Maque Choux / Cajun Succotash
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.1
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 352.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 8.2 g