Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This side dish is an excellent acccompaniment to any Cajun or Creole entree. Maque Choux usually does not contain okra, that's my little enhancement!
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups corn kernels, fresh or thawed frozen
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Cook bacon in a frying pan until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside.
- Melt butter in the bacon fat over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic, saute for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Stir in corn, okra, tomatoes, cayenne and cajun seasoning, cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chick broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook partially covered for 45 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in crumbled bacon and serve.