Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Best when prepared the day ahead.
Make and share this Cajun Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 whole scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, wih leaves chopped
- 1 lb canned tomato
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 ounces frozen okra or 1 lb fresh okra, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- Saute onion, green pepper, scallions, garlic and celery in oil until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except for shrimp, gumbo file and rice.
- Cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and boil gently for 10 minutes or more.
- Remove from heat and add gumbo file.
- Let stand until ready to serve.
- Cook rice according to package directrions.
- Place a scoop of rice in large soup bowls and ladle gumbo over rice.
- Note: For variation, crab may be substituted for shrimp.
- Also, for a summer causal gathering, drop clean cooked crab bodies into the gumbo when adding shrimp.
- Guests will scoop up and pick out meat.
cajuns do not put okra or tomatoes in their gumbo.