1 hr 5 mins
Best when prepared the day ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 whole scallions, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, wih leaves chopped
- 1 lb canned tomato
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 ounces frozen okra or 1 lb fresh okra, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1Saute onion, green pepper, scallions, garlic and celery in oil until tender.
- 2Add remaining ingredients except for shrimp, gumbo file and rice.
- 3Cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- 4Add shrimp and boil gently for 10 minutes or more.
- 5Remove from heat and add gumbo file.
- 6Let stand until ready to serve.
- 7Cook rice according to package directrions.
- 8Place a scoop of rice in large soup bowls and ladle gumbo over rice.
- 9Note: For variation, crab may be substituted for shrimp.
- 10Also, for a summer causal gathering, drop clean cooked crab bodies into the gumbo when adding shrimp.
- 11Guests will scoop up and pick out meat.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 220.8 mg
- Sodium 2517.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: