I got this recipe from a friend of mine who is a caterer. It's always a big hit. I like to add some Cajun seasonings. Posted for ZWT5.
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 cups water (or stock)
- 1 (14 ounce) can cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (like Frank's)
- In a large kettle saute onion, green pepper and green onions in oil for 5 minutes. Add flour and cook until bubbly. Add water (or stock), stewed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well.
- Stir in corn, ham, sausage, cayenne pepper, salt and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, then simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.