We developed these sandwiches after a local favorite hangout closed down- these sandwiches were our standard order every time we went in, and now we make them regularly at home. The chicken method and seasonings are from Aroostook's Blackened Chicken, with a few minor tweaks. She's right when she says turn off the smoke detector, and I agree with her recommendation of using a cast iron skillet. I ruined one of my good skillets making this the first time- it's now a dedicated blackened chicken skillet. But the cast iron works MUCH better! I usually end up doubling the seasonings, putting them in a shaker container to sprinkle generously over the chicken and veggies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, flattened to about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I use smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 split kaiser rolls
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- tomato, slices dill pickle slices, if desired
- 1Let the chicken come to room temperature before using.
- 2.Preheat oven to 400 F, and heat your skillet over high heat until VERY hot.
- 3Brush a small amount of melted butter over the inside tops of Kaiser rolls and return to plastic bag to keep soft.
- 4Combine all seasoning ingredients.
- 5Combine 1/2 c melted butter with hot sauce, and coat the chicken pieces thoroughly.
- 6Roll chicken breasts in the seasoning and then place into the hot skillet to sear.
- 7Drizzle a tsp of butter on top of each piece, and cook until a good crust has formed on the bottom of the chicken.
- 8Flip chicken and finish cooking, then remove to a plate.
- 9When all chicken is all finished, toss sliced pepper and onion with any leftover seasoning, add with any remainder of butter to the skillet. Cook about 5 min, until peppers and onions soften a bit.
- 10Place chicken on kaiser rolls, top each with some peppers and onions, then a slice of provolone.
- 11Leave sandwiches open faced and bake until cheese is melted and Kaiser roll toasts lightly.
- 12Serve with tomato and pickle slices if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cajun Blackened Chicken Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.4
- Calories from Fat 627
- Total Fat 69.6 g
- Saturated Fat 38.2 g
- Cholesterol 234.1 mg
- Sodium 3093.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 44.5 g