1/1 Photo of Broccoli Crunch With Creamy Almond Dressing
Tiny green florets, crisp apples, crunchy shallots, candied nuts and slivered red onions are tossed in a barely sweet, creamy almond vinaigrette. Find the freshest broccoli you can and be sure not to overcook them, you just want to blanch them quickly. A wonderful mix of crunch and color! You can make the components ahead of time, but don't dress the salad until you are ready to serve it; preserving the various crunches. Adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 cups tiny broccoli florets (and chopped stalks if you wish)
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (or mineral salt)
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 small crisp sweet apples, cut into small bite-sized pieces (if you aren't going to use the apples immediately, let them sit in a bowl of water with the juice of)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts (or candied) or 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup pan-fried crunchy shallot (see below on how to fry or if you must substitute crunchy fried onion rings)
- chives (optional)
- 1Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and place about 1/4 teaspoons salt in the water. Boil the broccoli just long enough to take the raw edge of - 10 or 15 seconds. Drain and immerse it in cold water (or let cold water run over it). Shake off excess water(or dry with a clean towel or paper towels). Set aside.
- 2Make the dressing by sprinkling the salt over the clove of garlic. Smash the clove and chop, smash and chop, making it into a paste. In a small bowl whisk the salty garlic paste with the almond butter, lemon juice, honey and olive oil. Add the hot water and whisk until light and creamy. Taste, make adjustments if needed, and set aside.
- 3In a large bowl gently toss the broccoli, apples, red onion, most of the shallots(saving some to garnish) and nuts with a generous drizzle of the almond dressing. Turn out onto a platter and finish with the rest of the shallots and chives if you like. Serve family style or on individual plates if desired. Enjoy!
- 4To make pan-fried crunchy shallots:.
- 5Stir together the shallots, a splash of clarified butter (or olive oil) and big pinch of salt In a large skillet over medium heat. Stir every few minutes, you want the shallots to slowly brown over about fifteen minutes. Let them get dark, dark brown (but not burn), and if needed turn down the heat. Remove from skillet and onto a paper towel to cool in a single layer where they will crisp up a bit.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Crunch With Creamy Almond Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.4
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 241.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 7.4 g