Cook1 hr 30 mins
A wonderful way to cook the less tender cuts of beef. Braising makes the meat very tender. We love to make this dish because it is very tasty.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks or 2 lbs round steaks, slice into 3 inch x 1 inch strips
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in water and reserved mushroom juice to equal 10 ounces
- 1⁄3 cup red wine or 1⁄3 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mushrooms, reserve juice
- 1 can water chestnut, sliced,drained
- 1 package frozen Chinese pea pods
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 cups hot cooked rice or 4 cups noodles
- Brown beef in hot oil.
- Mix together and add bouillon, wine, garlic, onion, soy sauce and mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add water chestnuts and pea pods.
- Blend cornstarch and water; stir in gradually to meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve immediately over rice or noodles.
- You may leave out the soy sauce, pea pods and water chestnuts, and add 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce instead.
Very tasty!! I used red wine and had to omit the mushrooms (DH, again!) but the dish did not suffer a bit. Meat was tender & flavorful over rice. Thanks, Miss Annie!
Miss Annie I got to say I loved it! My whole family loved it!! I used top round steak and when it started cooking I was afraid it would be so tough but after cooking for that hour it melted in my mouth. The gravy for this is out of this world! Definitely deserves 10 stars ********** and not 5***** Definitely keeping this recipe Thank you Miss Annie ; )
I followed the instructions in #9, and we enjoyed this. It did need a little salt without the soy sauce.