This is a delicious recipe we found in a "Taste of Home" magazine. We recommend you use smaller shrimp, or slice the bigger ones in half to make them more manageable for eating. If you left out the shrimp, it would make an excellent hot party dip or spread.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb medium shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 2 (6 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavored cracker, crushed (about 12)
- In a small saucepan, cook and stir the cream cheese and 2 tbsp of the butter over low heat until melted and smooth.
- In a large skillet, saute onion, celery and green pepper in the remaining butter until tender.
- Stir in cream cheese mixture.
- Stir in shrimp, soup, mushrooms, garlic salt, hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper and rice.
- Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish. Combine cheddar cheese and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.