This is from a local cajun restaurant called Jazz. It's probably my favorite dish that they serve. Notice that both margarine and butter are used - the margarine so that it can be used at a higher temp for blackening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 36 ounces catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb lump blue crab meat
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces seafood stock or 4 ounces water
- 1Place the catfish filets and the melted margarine in a flat dish, saturating the catfish completely.
- 2Sprinkle cajun seasoning onto one side of the catfish filets, completely covering the filets with a coat of seasoning.
- 3Place filets seasoning side down on a white hot cast iron skillet or griddle until edges of filets are white.
- 4Sprinkle the same amount of seasoning on the exposed side of the filets as you did in the previous process and turn with spatula.
- 5Cook until filet meat is completely cooked but moist, with a blackened exterior coat of spices.
- 6Be cautious not to over cook as the blackening skillet is extremely hot.
- 7Place the butter, garlic, green onions, shrimp and crab into a two quart saucepan. Gently sauté until lightly browned.
- 8Add the seafood stock.
- 9Cook until shrimp are just pink.
- 10Lower heat and add heavy whipping cream. Cook while stirring constantly until a gentle boil.
- 11Add more seafood seasoning to season to taste, mild or spicy.
- 12Add parmesan cheese to thicken.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14To serve, place a catfish filet on the center of the plate, completely covering it with the sauce. If desired, the catfish can be served over a bed of dirty or white rice.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blackened Catfish a La Mer
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 780.6
- Calories from Fat 527
- Total Fat 58.5 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 310.6 mg
- Sodium 910.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 57.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: