Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from a local cajun restaurant called Jazz. It's probably my favorite dish that they serve. Notice that both margarine and butter are used - the margarine so that it can be used at a higher temp for blackening.
- 36 ounces catfish fillets
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb lump blue crab meat
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 lb parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces seafood stock or 4 ounces water
- Place the catfish filets and the melted margarine in a flat dish, saturating the catfish completely.
- Sprinkle cajun seasoning onto one side of the catfish filets, completely covering the filets with a coat of seasoning.
- Place filets seasoning side down on a white hot cast iron skillet or griddle until edges of filets are white.
- Sprinkle the same amount of seasoning on the exposed side of the filets as you did in the previous process and turn with spatula.
- Cook until filet meat is completely cooked but moist, with a blackened exterior coat of spices.
- Be cautious not to over cook as the blackening skillet is extremely hot.
- Place the butter, garlic, green onions, shrimp and crab into a two quart saucepan. Gently sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the seafood stock.
- Cook until shrimp are just pink.
- Lower heat and add heavy whipping cream. Cook while stirring constantly until a gentle boil.
- Add more seafood seasoning to season to taste, mild or spicy.
- Add parmesan cheese to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- To serve, place a catfish filet on the center of the plate, completely covering it with the sauce. If desired, the catfish can be served over a bed of dirty or white rice.
Sarah I too moved to NC from Kansas city. I miss jazz so much. This recipe can also be used for the chicken a la Ker, which is my favorite .
I love Jazz!! I'm getting ready to move to North Carolina and I will miss it terribly. Thank you for giving me this to take with me.