Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A true southern country relish, perfect served with any fall season greens, such as collards, turnip or mustard. Also excellent with cream cheese as a spread. From my late sister-in-law, a South Carolina farm wife.
- 12 large red bell peppers
- 12 large green bell peppers
- 12 large onions
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Grind or otherwise process peppers and onions into finely chopped, even mushy, consistency.
- Cover with boiling water and let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Save juice to add to vinegar mixture if needed to cover vegetables.
- Add sugar, vinegar, celery seed and salt.
- Boil 15 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized canning jars and seal.
This is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for!
I have been canning this off and on all summer to use excess bell peppers. Love it.