Taste of Home. Beautiful presentation. Excellent for fall celebrations. I usually add bay leaf and dried thyme or marjoram to the stew. You can add whatever spices/herbs you prefer.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 lb) pumpkin
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add water, potatoes, carrots, green peppers, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in bouillon and tomatoes.
- Wash pumpkin; cut a 6 to 8 inch circle around top stem.
- Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loose fibers from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan.
- Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace the top.
- Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender (do not overbake).
- Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.